North Head Lighthouse
Sunsets over the Pacific at North Head Lighthouse at Cape Disappointment. Sunsets over the Pacific at North Head Lighthouse at Cape Disappointment. The Cape Disappointment Lighthouse, installed in 1856, was obscured to ships approaching from the north by the headland extending southwest from the light. To correct this, a lighthouse was built at North Head, which faces the ocean directly and would be clearly visible to ships traveling from the north. The 65-foot (20 m) tower stood on a 130-foot (40 m) cliff. The lens was the first-order lens from Cape Disappointment, and was first lit in 1898. In 1935, the first-order lens was replaced by a fourth-order lens. That lens was eventually replaced by an aerobeacon in the 1950s, and later by a modern optic mounted outside the tower. The light was automated in 1961. (Nelson p. 112) Today the lighthouse is part of Cape Disappointment State Park.